Teaching & TA-ing
I have four years of experience teaching and TA-ing college media studies classes, including courses on film, television, digital media, and graphic novels and comics. Some of the courses I have taught and TA'd include:
- Technological Innovations: Digital Cinema
- Cultural History of American Television
- History of International Film
- Graphic Novels
- Analyzing Media Texts (Film Analysis)
- Media Contexts (Cultural Theory)
I have given guest lectures in college classes on the following topics:
- The History of Queer and Transgender Television in America
- Gender Identity and Queer Asian-American Representation in the Graphic Novel Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine
- Transgender Representation and Technological Mobility in Tangerine (a film shot entirely using iPhones)
- The French Impressionist Film Movement, Focusing on Experimental Films like Ballet Mechanique
- Queer and Transgender Video Games and the Queer Games Movement
I have experience doing editorial work for academic and popular publications.
Academic Editorial Experience
I have been invited to serve as a peer reviewer and editorial board member for five academic journals:
Non-Academic Editorial Experience
I spent four years as a Contributing Editor and Writer for Autostraddle.com, which is "world’s most popular lesbian website, with over one million unique visitors and 3.5 million views per month." It is a trans- and non-binary-friendly website and the 2015 GLAAD Award Winner for Outstanding Website.
As a contributing editor and writer, I regularly wrote editorials, interviews, personal essays, and think-pieces for Autostraddle and participated in editorial and staff writer meetings and with the senior editors.